Thursday, January 12, 2006

Vipassna - Now I'm Zen

It's amazing. I survived the 10 days of silence and eating only vegetarian food at Vipassna. (Meditation retreat in the Blue Mountains) The mind definitely wanders to weird places when silent for 10 days. I began creating personalities of my fellow meditators and giving them names. "Pregnant Woman" for obvious reason 8 months pregnant. "Dog Faced Lady" again for obvious reasons and rather unfortunate on her part, "Sniffles," "Breathy" and "Shuffles" because of their habits in the hall. "Holier than thou" because she was dressed in white, sat on a platform. There were loads more and really and since I didn't get to talk to these people it's all I could do.

I managed to witness what I thought was a saucy affair between a young woman "Holier than Thou" and one of the male meditators "shaggy yet mildly hot". She was always draped in a white outfit that was similar to a toga. This one time she was blushing and smiling at "Shaggy" across the room.

So on the 10th day when we were finally able to talk to others I rolled on up and asked her what that scandal was about. Not only did it turn out that this guy was her brother (oops), she is also a nun!

She might be a nun but i'm no saint as soon as I was out on the 11th day I went straight to a fab cafe and had bacon, sausage, eggs. How many rules can I break in one go (Non kosher, non vegetarian, non vegan, and a whole lot of gluten and wheat.) So I guess this whole Vipassna thing didn't really take. Oh well...next!

No comments: