Friday, June 16, 2006

Spinster or Lesbian?

I guess the fact that I'm single must finally be blatantly obvious to the rest of the world and not just myself. Little reminders have been popping up everywhere of late. With my 28th birthday pending these reminders are becoming more frequent. Ding, ding, ding. I hear you loud and clear...Now even strangers seem to be bothered by my seemingly horrific circumstance.

I swear I was simply trying to be friendly to these two Irish guys on the bus. They were pleasantly chatty so I thought I'd kill 10 minutes and humour them with my charming personality but somehow right after the requisite "are you from Sydney?" the conversation plummeted into this:

I: How old are you?
L:How old do I look?
I: 25
L: I'm 28 but thanks
I: Are you married?
L: No
I: Engaged?
L: No
I:If you don't mind me asking are you a lesbian or bi-sexual?
L: Why? Because I'm not married or do I have a certain look?
I: I just thought that at your age...

I'm leaving it there.

4 comments:

Cherry! said...

So were THEY married????????

Lush said...

Tres obvious I guess but they were mingers so I didn't care to ask.

egan said...

Très dumb on their part. That's such an odd question to ask. I really don't get it.

Lush said...

Maybe they were trying to fulfill a fantasy? I just think they were drunk Irish tourists. Next!