Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hula Hoops and and a Head of Lettuce


I was on my way to Woolies to pick up a head of lettuce when I spotted a girl carrying 3 hula hoops. Well, not spotted from a distance like "look up there yonder what are those hoop like things that person is carrying?" More like she was walking past me and I said "What's up with the hoops?"

Apparently she takes a weekly Sunday evening hula class here in Sydney town! I guess if there are pole dancing schools why not hula hoop schools.
Anyway, these were no ordinary hula hoops. They were special weighted ones with red and white/blue and white stripes like a candy cane. They were kind of like the ones in primary school that were used in p.e class for athletics day, not the dodgy Barbie pink home version that always had a couple of sharp bends and a ball spinning around inside. These were bona fide professional hoops.

I was eager to find out more from hula hoop girl; was she a circus performer, a cheerleader, a go-go dancer or maybe a stripper and most importantly could she do it while on rollerskates (the old school kind)?

She claimed she was doing it just for "fun" but I think we can safely assume that she was really a go-go dancer in training Boogie Nights style. She did after all have those bitty shorts with the racing stripe down the side. Maybe there is a new cool bar opening in Syd and if there isn't there should be.

Nope she can't do it on skates but I assured her it would only be a matter of time. And before we knew it we had reached the literal fork in the road. As she veered off to her apartment we paused and smiled at each other for a second, me knowing she was really an in denial go-go dancer and her knowing I might be going to buy a lettuce but I sure wasn't going eat it. She was right.

No comments: