Monday, May 22, 2006

Dear Eurovision,

I am eternally grateful to the Eurovision Song Contest for producing such musical heros as Abba and will forever hate it for subjecting me to the musical ferret that is Celine Dion. But this year I am just shocked and confused: a monster-themed hard rock band from Finland?

Surely I am not alone in thinking - what in the munter is going on?



2006 Winner - Lordi (Finland)


Lordi told the BBC, 'This is a victory for rock music and for open-mindedness. This is proof that there are rock fans watching Eurovision. Maybe in the future we'll see rock bands, metal and hip hop'.

Since when did Eurovision become a battle of the hard core rock bands? Don't get me wrong I'm not anti rock but there is no place for this in the purity that is Eurovision.

Yes, okay, it's such a piss take but this whole Monster thing is just taking the piss. It's gone too far and needs to be stopped.

I like to see pop hopefuls battle it out - fake tan, eighties hair, mini skirts, furrowed manicured brows, confused Euro pop diva looks, and sequence a-plenty. It's all so serious and such dirty work.



1974 Winner ABBA (Sweden).


American Idol contestants could learn a thing or two from Eurovision. It's so trashy and it's oh so very good. So good.

More than 100 million peeps tuned in and people from 38 countries voted. But the 51st winner romped in wearing monster masks? Puh-lease! Give me a freakin' break. Where is the glitter, the big hair, the jump suits?

Eurovision get a grip. Keep it real. Revoke this award!


5 comments:

Cherry! said...

OMG. That's gross. It reminds me of these guys I saw on TV not so long ago who have hair growing ALL OVER their faces.

onewaybanter said...

Wow, you are passionate about your tv. I love you even more now.

What is this tag business you speak of, this girl's confused, sir.

Lush said...

Eurovision is a yearly delight that is always made better with a glass of vino.

Anyway the tag is from my May 18 "'N' is for..." post. It's all there.

Cherry's letter is 'C' need I say more?

KUYAZ said...

Revoked. That's just plain weird.

p.s. My "D" list has been created.

Dino said...

As a european, I can honestly say I have never heard of the contest. However based on the picture I am glad I missed it.